Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Copic Storage

So here it is (finally)!  Was gonna post it yesterday and just my luck the power was out.  No idea why, we had a bad storm AFTER the power came back on.  Taught a Copic Basic class last night, it is always refreshing to see a new person experience Copics for the first time.  So enough about my day (or days).

Here is a picture of my Copic Storage Bin.  It is absolutely awesome for travel.
This is how I created it.  First let me start by giving credit to the person who I got the idea from.  Her name is Helen Johnson and you can visit her blog at bhelenj.blogspot.com. I did mine a little different from hers but the concept is the same.

I started with the Double Deep Super Satchel from Art Bin.
I then made the insert to hold the markers.  It is made from a 5/8" dowel rod and a florescent ceiling light grid style cover (found at Lowes or Home Depot). I got mine at Lowes (in the ceiling tile section) and it cost 11 and change (you can make 2 boxes from one tile so find a friend and split the cost).  You need a saw that has at least 25 teeth per inch to cut the ceiling tile (I used a hacksaw blade but be very careful since it is not in the saw).  The art bin actually tapers in slightly so the bottom grid was cut 19x19 little squares across and the top grid is 19x20 squares across.  The top grid will sit on the lip of the recessed area of the handle.  The dowel rod will fit perfectly inside the squares at each of the four corners but do be careful when inserting them as the grid will break easily.  It should look like this:
Notice that my dowel rods are taller than the grid.  I did this to help add support to the lid in case something would get set on top of it.  Now let me tell you that it WILL NOT hold Copic Original markers but will hold the Sketch and Ciao.  When you do the math this bin will hold 357 markers (19x19-4=357).

The grid simply sits inside the bin and can come right out if you should want to use the bin for something else.  And here it is filled with my markers!
Hope you have fun creating your own Copic Storage system!  If you have any questions please let me know and I will respond as promptly as I can.  Until next time, keep it colorful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment